Friday, 30 November 2007

dubai

the flight was normal i guess. on board entertainment is so good these days the flight always seems to short. (then again this is only my 3rd long flight ever...)

I can't help noting people... my eyes scan them and wonder what language they speak. I hear two girls speaking Afrikaans to each other on the plane (we did leave from Joburg afterall) and as i turn to look at them, with their teased hair and eye-make-up, they needn't speak for me to know where they come from.

I am somewhat disappointed by the commonness of the people around me. Nothing new yet. As we arrive and touch down in Dubai i quickly realise that the sun is rising and i have not slept at all. I blame raymond even though everyone else seems to love him.

As i walk into the dubai international airport, it is all the same. It's the western east. It's the same glitz, the same sheen, the same as what im used to.

I need the toilet soon after i'm off the plain. While inside the restroom I hear a new sound. A strange sound. The call to prayer sounds loudly through the bathroom, and I'm still. I absorb. I become aware that this place has it's own history. It may feel very similar to what i'm used to, but by no means am i part of it. It's outside me and therefore I respect it.

Dubai... Well, im only here for one more hour, let me absorb as much as i can.

No comments: