Sunday, 13 May 2007

my eyes

my only lens on this world
my visual dependence;
lack of perspective
that keeps me looking

these are my eyes
my smudged windows
responders to my mind's
crooked instructions

look not at man
compare not to him
o eyes if you can
don't fall into sin

look up, not around
better yet see the ground
see the rubble, see the dust
see the dirt if you must

enough to know that this dirt could be
the very same dirt that will one day swallow me
what am i to compare to the strength of a brother?
what am i to see myself as something other?

i am the rubbish, yet my eyes still pry
to find someone else more rubbish than i
and the only way i find him is to believe the lie
that the rubbish i seek is in some other guy

it's me. i am he.
and i need Thee
now more than ever
i need to see
You as superior
and me facedown
no motives ulterior
not wearing your crown

see o eyes! you fight without cause
my God knows how to win my wars
my eyes will again look up not around
and my heart will again know your renown

No comments: